N.Y.K.
all-star weekend was pretty ridiculous this year...alas no knicks. these dudes have been killing me lately. i swear if isiah pulls another bogus move i'ma lose it. just let us play out the year and get a good draft pick. the future is lebron for us. Admittedly i'm still a kid at heart with sports. following them as though i'm 16 still. i suppose its one thing most guys never really lose... something engrained in us. i would say sports and women take up 90% of our conversations. maybe food and drink or the aquisition of such: another 7%. with only that 3% remaining, you realize why we use such a small percentage of our brains capacity.
the following paste i pulled off a web comment. it was pretty poignant in alot of ways to me. especially when people ask why you like them? its almost intangible. i was one of the chosen ones.

What can I say: I'm in love. I'm still in love with the Knicks of the 1990s, who gave their fans more joy than any franchise (in any sport) that didn't win a championship. I'm still in love with LJ's four-point play, Starks' kissing the Knicks logo at center court upon his first return as a visiting player, Xavier McDaniel saying "F--- Michael Jordan and F--- Phil Jackson!" to reporters during the '92 playoffs, Van Gundy grabbing Mourning's leg, Tim Hardaway trying to bait Chris Childs into a fight after NYK beat the Heat in another decisive playoff game as Childs laughs and walks towards the locker room, the JoJo English fight, Reggie Miller's 25-point fourth quarter, the Hue Hollins phantom foul on Scottie Pippen in Game 5 of the '94 series, and pretty much anything John Starks did from 1989-1998. On and on and on. It was an extraordinary time. As good as any fans have ever had it, in any sport, in any era.
I wish I could just let it go -- I even tried being a Rockets fan for a while so I could still root for JVG. Didn't work. Bill Simmons wrote, "You don't choose your favorite team. Your favorite team chooses you." And so it goes. Someday, Isiah will be gone. Someday, the Knicks will defend the basket again. Someday MSG will rock hard during a playoff game, Marv Albert will sit courtside, Stephon Marbury will be a distant memory, and life will be very good.
say what you will about those dudes but they played together and you were never left wondering whether they left it all on the court. i like playing with that feeling when i'm out there. the battle mentality, giving nothing easily, protecting what is yours, living on emotion. its just not as easy(or effective) when its not five thinking the same way.
the following paste i pulled off a web comment. it was pretty poignant in alot of ways to me. especially when people ask why you like them? its almost intangible. i was one of the chosen ones.

What can I say: I'm in love. I'm still in love with the Knicks of the 1990s, who gave their fans more joy than any franchise (in any sport) that didn't win a championship. I'm still in love with LJ's four-point play, Starks' kissing the Knicks logo at center court upon his first return as a visiting player, Xavier McDaniel saying "F--- Michael Jordan and F--- Phil Jackson!" to reporters during the '92 playoffs, Van Gundy grabbing Mourning's leg, Tim Hardaway trying to bait Chris Childs into a fight after NYK beat the Heat in another decisive playoff game as Childs laughs and walks towards the locker room, the JoJo English fight, Reggie Miller's 25-point fourth quarter, the Hue Hollins phantom foul on Scottie Pippen in Game 5 of the '94 series, and pretty much anything John Starks did from 1989-1998. On and on and on. It was an extraordinary time. As good as any fans have ever had it, in any sport, in any era.
I wish I could just let it go -- I even tried being a Rockets fan for a while so I could still root for JVG. Didn't work. Bill Simmons wrote, "You don't choose your favorite team. Your favorite team chooses you." And so it goes. Someday, Isiah will be gone. Someday, the Knicks will defend the basket again. Someday MSG will rock hard during a playoff game, Marv Albert will sit courtside, Stephon Marbury will be a distant memory, and life will be very good.

say what you will about those dudes but they played together and you were never left wondering whether they left it all on the court. i like playing with that feeling when i'm out there. the battle mentality, giving nothing easily, protecting what is yours, living on emotion. its just not as easy(or effective) when its not five thinking the same way.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home